Pages

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Week 5 - Connecting/Narrating/Branding me

The Internet has been a massive contribution to both media consumption and production. I'm sure I don't need to explain this to anyone reading this blog... on the Internet.

This weeks readings were a little dry for my taste, though they covered the topic areas quite well. I found it interesting that China has such a large audience for mobile technology. Not that I don't think they wouldn't be interested in them or have uses for them, but rather the fact that one would think they would be harder to regulate with the strict Chinese firewalls. (That sentence made more sense in my head.)

Relating to last week's topic, you could associate 'branding me' with the anonymity that the Internet provides. People could choose to express who they are completely differently to who they actually are, or just put themselves out there for the world to see.


I couldn't tell you how many of my friends are genuinely who they project themselves to be on Facebook, or even if I would consider them friends at all if we hung out more in real life rather than online. Janicke makes an interesting point in her blog, explaining that people who don't have a Facebook profile or who don't regularily update their status have become the anti-social ones.

I guess that's just how our generation likes to express themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment